EATING DISORDER TREATMENT IN PERTH
Energetics Institute’s eating disorder treatment in Perth involves both education and treatment of the compulsions, impulses, anxieties and self-soothing habits that many adults seek when anxious, depressed, traumatised, or in stressed lifestyles.
Our therapy team will also help reshape your body image, self esteem, and entrenched beliefs, thoughts, images or feelings that may be fueling your cravings.
WHAT ARE EATING DISORDERS?
An eating disorder may involve eating more or less of the correct foods than what your body requires for good health. Over time, the habit becomes stronger than your will to control it. This may arise from distorted thinking and influences such as the internet around body shape, beauty, health and weight.
Common eating disorders are:
- Anorexia – a distorted thinking or fear based disorder centered on weight gain where the person severely reduces food intake to lose weight.
- Bulimia – a self-control style disorder with extremes of binge or excessive eating followed by impulses to purge or expel based on use of laxatives, diuretics, extreme exercise, or induced vomiting.
- Binge Eating Disorder – occasional or regular impulses to binge, where eating may be fast and not enjoyable or social, when not even hungry, but without purging or compensatory behaviours.
- Orthorexia – an obsession disorder where the person has intense thinking and preoccupation around the pursuit of a healthy diet. The focus on diet may be the focus of an underlying anxiety.
EATING DISORDER SYMPTOMS
Eating Disorders are characterised by certain symptoms which may include:
- Excess focus on diets, weight and food control
- Extreme food intake patterns – either full abstinence or expelling
- Fears of consequences if strict or extreme measures are not followed
- Rejection or unhappiness of own body or self
- Extreme beliefs, practices or following extremist food philosophies or exercise
- Unhealthy must-win or perfectionist nature
- Critical mindset
- Approval seeking
WHAT CAUSES EATING DISORDERS?
Eating disorders are part of a wider issue of self rejection and low self esteem where body image plays a part in negation of yourself. You may feel discontent as you benchmark yourself to false and illusory ideals propagated by the media that lead you to compensate your relationship to food, exercise and your body.
Causes may also include trauma, depression anxiety, and family or relationship dynamics. There may be underlying hormonal or neurochemical imbalances, heavy metal toxicity, or genetic issues.
HOW CAN PSYCHOTHERAPY AND COUNSELLING HELP YOUR EATING DISORDERS?
Our Eating Disorder Treatment plan in Perth involves identifying and tackling both the core issues that created the eating disorder, and also the symptoms and practices that now exist as the expression of that eating disorder. This dual approach assists in creating an early intervention and encouragement to bring the eating disorder under control, and then to permanently lower levels of activation, and stop altogether.
Using a blend of psychotherapy and counselling, we allow you to fully express any suppressed emotions such as anger, grief, shame, guilt or fear that are blocked and which may be being avoided by distracting yourself through the eating disorder. This is offered as part of our anorexia treatment and bulimia treatment in our Perth practice.
Our therapy also involves problem solving skills, mindfulness and strong positive boundaries between yourself and food, people and influences such as social media that may be contributing to your eating disorder.